Weizmann Australia is a non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting the work of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel and the development of Australian scientific research and education. In doing so, we enable mutually beneficial engagement between Australian scientists and the Weizmann Institute in research and education programs.”
The Weizmann Institute is one of the highest-ranking multidisciplinary scientific research institutes in the world with dedicated scientists working on more than a thousand projects ranging from cancer to computer science, from nutrition to nanotechnology, from Alzheimer’s to astrophysics. Weizmann scientists follow their curiosity to make discoveries aiming to solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
The Weizmann Institute shares rewarding long-term relationships around the world through it’s global family of satellite offices in the US, Europe, UK, Canada, and Latin America. Australia joined this family when Weizmann Australia was established in 2009.
More specifically, Weizmann Australia focuses on:
- Collaboration – building networks that lead to and support research collaboration between the Weizmann Institute and Australia
- Philanthropy – facilitating philanthropic investment for the invaluable research of the Weizmann Institute and its Australian partnerships.
- Communication – highlighting the Weizmann Institute’s scientific discoveries and breakthroughs to Australian supporters and the general public
- Education – delivering public benefit through events and educational programs that provide unique access to inspirational scientists, cutting –edge research and science education programs.
In 2016 a partnership with the Garvan Institute of Medical Research was created and a year later (with seed funding of $10 million) the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics was launched. This multidisciplinary centre brings together a critical mass of expertise and equipment that is a first on the world stage in cellular genomics and Weizmann Australia is dedicated to facilitating its growth and promotion.
Weizmann Australia Board Members:
- Stephen Chipkin (Chair)
- Rina Michael (Executive Director)
- Dan Bennett
- Dr David Celermajer AO
- Paul Rubenstein
- Gavin Solsky
- Bernie Stang